Tag Archives: horror
The King of the Vampires looks you in the eye and dares you to resist his will, in this image from the comic strip ‘Count Dracula’s Great Secret’ (see Ugly Mug 5). Wear it on your chest and make Old Vlad’s power your own.
Available in various forms bewitching from TeePublic. For more HoH merch, see our TeePublic storefront.
Driving temperatures down
Ugly Mug 5
The House of Harley’s comics anthology Ugly Mug is back after a 30 year break.
Order your copy now from Lulu.
The forces of optimism and pessimism battle it out over 72 pages in this horror-themed mag, which features new strips and drawings by the creme of the British small press cartooning scene:
- Organic Matter – an auxillary brain is assembled, in a twisted tale by Ed Pinsent
- Peasholm Island – prologue to the forthcoming graphic novel The Rightful King of the North Riding by Marc Baines
- Father Gilderoy Investigates – meet John Bagnall‘s dynamic sleuth
- Somberline: Dreams of Power – ominous politics in this Chris Reynolds one-pager
- Snak – an art-punk drawing from Savage Pencil‘s Animals Eating Other Animals series
- Beserker – Tom Baxter Tiffin‘s spider fellow is too mangled for the Multiverse
- Postcards From A Nother Place – images from the interstellar travels of Denny Derbyshire
- Put Your Best Foot Fwd – a radical self-help philosophy, modelled by Canadian contortionist and performance artist Ess Hödlmoser aka Strange and Wonderful Creature
- Ugly Mugshots snapped by Niall Richardson
- The Saga of the Scroll – Harry Excess encounters a giant octopus and other evil omens, in chapter 5 of Ed Pinsent‘s Windy Wilberforce epic
And from the House of Harley studio…
- Enigmatic cover star Voodoo Master undergoes a mid-life crisis
- Harvey’s S-S-S-Secret – Hollywood actor Harvey Keitel faces his biggest fear
- Count Dracula’s Great Secret is revealed, in a tribute to Paul Naschy, 1970s ice lolly ads and picnic vodka
- Seb, stranded in fog – where is everyone?
- The Kommuter Kronicle exposes the psycho-political horror of public transport policy
- Discourage the Use of Cash – the House of Harley’s Behavioural Research Unit strikes
- Negative Lad asks what good are superpowers in this misbegotten world?
- Trick or Street – never drive at night!
- Harmless Delusions about Rice Krispies and Padron Peppers
- How to make your own Golden Flavoured Syrup
- Dora the Art Restorer reveals a trade secret
- Dunstan Hunna puts the washing out
- Reflexology – a rude pictorial poem
- A glimpse behind the scenes at the House of Harley studio
Published Nov 2021. 72 pages, black and white premium stock, A4 paperback.
Not suitable for children.
“…an irresistible compendium of non-mainstream comic strip goodness. The contents run the gamut from rational to surreal, silly to sophisticated, amusing to offensive; UGLY MUG 5 is, in short, eminently representative of the state of the art in modern-day underground comix.”The Bedlam Files
“…a delightfully unpredictable read…”
– Broken Frontier
“…the motherlode… wildly creative and inspiring…” – Ugly Mug 5 reviewed by Steve Keeter and Larned Justin on the Talking Small Press Comics podcast…
£9.95 + postage. Order now from Lulu.
A handful of Ugly Mug back issues are available from the Shop.
You can own the cover of Ugly Mug 5 on a t-shirt, sticker, pillow, tote bag and even a mug.
“There is no resolution in Ugly Mug.”
– James Heartfield, author, The ‘Death of the subject’ explained